Monday, March 4, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I generally post scrapbook projects but tonight I made a "batch" of laundry detergent and thought I would share the recipe with you all.

I have made this specific recipe for years and love it for several reasons. It gets your clothes clean. It smells great. It dissolves well.  However, the best part is the price. Each "batch" costs less than $20.00 and lasts over 6 months with about 8 loads of laundry a week.

Homemade Laundry Soap

1 box of Borax (4 lbs 12 oz or 76 oz) (2.15 kg) found in the detergent aisle

1 box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4 lb) (1.81 kg) found in the cooking aisle

1 box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (55 oz) (3 lb 7 oz) found in the detergent aisle

1 container of Oxyclean (3 lb) (1.36 kg) found in the detergent aisle

3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap found in the detergent aisle

Grate the Fels-Naptha bars of soap. I bought a grater from the dollar store and use that only for my detergent.  Even if you use cold water, it will still dissolve.

Put all the ingredients in either a large tub or a garbage bag and mix well. 

Use less than 1/4 cup per load. You will be tempted to use more, but it is highly concentrated so you do not need more.

Let me know if you try this and what you think or if you have any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment